Just a few short months ago, we came to you with a big idea and a big promise — to create a free, public service news outlet that makes a positive difference in the city we love.
Thanks to your early support, The New Bedford Light’s local, in-depth reporting is already having a real impact on the lives of real people. Here are just two examples:
- Housing equity for all — Southeast Housing Court finally adopted a free “Lawyer For A Day” program after we revealed our court has the highest number of eviction actions in the state and was the only one without free legal services.
- Civil rights of students — The federal government launched a review of New Bedford’s failure to disclose school-based police actions, thanks to our continuing coverage of discrimination against students of color and students with disabilities. We also revealed the problem extends well beyond the city to school districts across the state.
We can’t thank you enough for helping us restore independent, public service journalism to our city.
As a nonprofit, nonpartisan newsroom, The Light is reader-supported. Accountability journalism that gets tangible results is time-consuming, and it is expensive. We rely on you, our civic-minded community donors, to fund this difficult work.
Please consider donating so that we can continue to dig deep on the urgent and complex issues facing our city: health, schools, housing, jobs, immigration, racial and economic justice, city government, city politics — and so much more.
Thank you again for partnering with us as we push forward in this critical effort. Please help keep The Light shining on the community we cherish. Click here to give today.
With much gratitude,
The New Bedford Light
P.S. Have a story idea? Feedback on our work so far? Issues you’d like to see us explore? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We appreciate your input!
Sign up for our free newsletter
Receive in-depth news stories and arts & culture coverage from around New Bedford in your inbox every weekday.
Support local news
Give today to keep The Light shining. As a nonprofit with no paywall we rely on reader donations to fund our high-quality reporting.
New Bedford Light is an IRS-determined 501(c)(3) Public Charity; all gifts are tax-deductible. Our EIN number is 86-2407296.
- Culture Calendar: See the latest events planned in and around New Bedford
- NBAM’s year-end exhibit inventive, eclectic and engaging
- Return of rail brings the chance to build homes for people, not spaces for cars
- Steeple Playhouse opening ushers in a new era for city
- UMass Dartmouth will refer students seeking medication abortion to two clinics
- Floating wind turbine prototype arrives in New Bedford cove