In Depth: Fishing
The Buyers and Sellers Exchange is the largest public fish auction on the Eastern Seaboard, where an estimated 65% of the national, half-billion-dollar scallop trade passes from boats to buyers.
Local fishermen say the marine monument closure deals yet another blow to a highly regulated industry and is unfair because recreational fishing will be allowed in the area.
Industry leaders, regulators and scientists stress that the decline doesn’t mean the shellfish are at risk of overfishing, and they say the industry is still very profitable.
Sign up for free
Our free newsletter will drop into your inbox weekday mornings, giving you all the highlights of our in-depth news stories and community arts and culture coverage.
SUPPORT OUR WORK TODAY
As an independent, nonprofit news outlet we are reliant on reader support to help fund the kind of in-depth journalism that keeps the public informed and holds the powerful accountable. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to our sponsors
Irwin and Joan Jacobs, Founding Benefactors
- New Bedford group presses for immigrant driver’s licenses
- A waiting game for offshore wind jobs
- Walk-up clinics offering booster shots and child vaccines for COVID-19
- New Bedford mothers unite to help sons ID’d as possible gang members
- Opinion: Massachusetts must lead now on early childhood education and care
- COVID-19 cases rise, hospital stays increase in New Bedford area