ROCHESTER — Police responded to Keith A. Hovan’s Rochester home 13 times in the last decade, records show. Some calls were automatic for a home alarm setting off or from Hovan reporting suspicious vehicle activity, but one report from 2011 states police were called following a “verbal argument” between Hovan and his wife.
A report obtained by The Light states two officers responded to Hovan’s home for an abandoned 911 call in the summer of 2011. Hovan’s wife answered the door and reportedly told police “no one” called 911. Asked if anyone else was home, she said Hovan was in the other room.
She subsequently stated it was an accident that she called and that she hung up before it rang; the officer wrote in his report that she had tears in her eyes. Hovan and his wife reportedly told officers they had a “verbal argument” prior to police arrival, and both declined an abuse prevention order, formally called a 209A, stating no further action was necessary.
Hovan’s wife also declined a protective order following Hovan’s arrest earlier this month for alleged domestic assault and battery, the Nov. 6 arrest report states.
Hovan reportedly exited his home that night stating to police “something along the lines of, ‘It was me, I did it, my arm hit her in the face.’” A police officer noted a red mark on Hovan’s wife’s face that became a bruise, and cuts with blood on Hovan’s forearm.
Sgt. Nathan Valente of the Rochester Police Department said police cannot mandate restraining or abuse prevention orders and that it is up to the individual to decide. It can offer protection for people who may fear for their safety with an intimate partner or family member.
According to other 911 response logs, Hovan called police multiple times over the years to report gunshots and vehicles located at or near his home.
In 2012, Hovan reported hearing gunshots on the bogs near his house. In 2019, he reportedly told police he thought someone shot at his house. The police report notes Hovan said the Tobey Hospital maternity ward was closing soon and that there were some disgruntled employees as a result. He reportedly expressed concerns that a disgruntled employee possibly shot near his home to threaten or intimidate him.
Hovan also offered up security footage taken by his home’s security camera system. An officer wrote that Hovan played a video in which a loud bang was heard and the lights of a passing car were seen around the same time. Police did not find any evidence of a gunshot on the exterior of his home.
Following Hovan’s arrest this month, police removed about 40 legal firearms and about 19,500 rounds of ammunition as is standard protocol following alleged domestic assault. He faces a possible second charge for possession of illegal ammunition pending a clerk magistrate hearing.
Police say Hovan had the weapons stored in a secure room and closet in his home. He reportedly told police some of his guns are for show as he is a collector. A police inventory lists pistols and semi-automatic rifles under Hovan’s ownership. His firearm license was suspended following his arrest.
Records also show Hovan called 911 a few times over the last decade to report suspicious activity of cars parked or driving near his home. In one instance, Hovan called police in 2017 reportedly saying he saw via his camera that a truck was parked in his driveway. An officer checked it out and determined it was a landscaper finishing a job.
In another instance, Hovan called police in 2015 on a sedan that was driving around his house and neighborhood over the course of a few nights. An officer spoke with the sedan driver and reported it was a Standard-Times newspaper delivery driver who had used Hovan’s driveway to turn around.
Valente said it seems Hovan could have made enemies at work due to decisions he has made as CEO, so the sergeant could understand someone being vigilant with their home security.
Just over a year ago, in September of 2020, police were notified by St. Luke’s Hospital security that a man had made possible threats to show up at Hovan’s home, a report states.
The Light requested comment from Hovan by phone and email on the 911 calls. Southcoast Health spokesperson Dan Cence, the CEO of Solomon McCown and Cence, said Hovan had no comment.
The Light also contacted Hovan’s wife Monday morning for comment on the 2011 call, but did not receive an immediate response.
Hovan has served as president and CEO of Southcoast Hospitals Group, Inc. since 2008 and Southcoast Health System, Inc. since 2011. He went on paid leave several days after the hospital’s board of trustees learned of his arrest.
In a statement to the Southcoast Health community, Hovan wrote Southcoast Health “deserves a leader unencumbered by current personal matters to run what I believe to be the most exceptional health care system in the state.”
Following his arrest, Hovan stepped down from his governor-appointed position on the Massachusetts Public Health Council. He is still serving on the board of trustees for the Massachusetts Health and Hospital Association, according to a spokesperson.
Hovan is scheduled to appear in Wareham District Court on Wednesday, either in person or virtually, for a pretrial hearing on the domestic assault and battery charge.
Email Anastasia Lennon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sign up for free
Our free newsletter will drop into your inbox weekday mornings, giving you all the highlights of our in-depth news stories and community arts and culture coverage.
SUPPORT OUR WORK TODAY
As an independent, nonprofit news outlet we are reliant on reader support to help fund the kind of in-depth journalism that keeps the public informed and holds the powerful accountable. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to our sponsors
Irwin and Joan Jacobs, Founding Benefactors
- New Bedford group presses for immigrant driver’s licenses
- A waiting game for offshore wind jobs
- Walk-up clinics offering booster shots and child vaccines for COVID-19
- New Bedford mothers unite to help sons ID’d as possible gang members
- Opinion: Massachusetts must lead now on early childhood education and care
- COVID-19 cases rise, hospital stays increase in New Bedford area