NEW BEDFORD – At-Large City Councilor Ian Abreu edged out Brian Gomes as the body’s new president by 6-5 vote Thursday night.
Derek Baptiste, Naomi Carney, Maria Giesta and newcomers Shane Burgo and Ryan Pereira, along with Abreu himself, voted for Abreu. Hugh Dunn, Scott Lima, Brad Markey, Linda Morad and Gomes himself voted for Gomes.
Abreu has been the top vote-getter in the past two at-large elections. Gomes has served as the council president several times in the past.
The vote had been delayed after several city councilors were absent for the City Council’s inaugural meeting, due to illness, including COVID-19.
Sign up for our free newsletter
Receive in-depth news stories and arts & culture coverage from around New Bedford in your inbox every weekday.
SUPPORT LOCAL NEWS
Give today to keep The Light shining. As a nonprofit with no paywall we rely on reader donations to fund our high-quality reporting.
New Bedford Light is an IRS-determined 501(c)(3) Public Charity; all gifts are tax-deductible. Our EIN number is 86-2407296.
Thank you to our sponsors
Founding benefactors: Joan and Irwin Jacobs fund of the Jewish Community Foundation, Mary and Jim Ottaway
- The sound of silence: Beloved Folk Festival ends ‘on a high note’
- Vocational school admissions targeted in federal civil rights complaint
- Comments to The Light: Climate change education, septic regulations hit home
- Local lawmakers condemn ‘home equity theft’ as city officials defend tax collection tactics
- Chris Mello embraces the comfy life, but when he dresses up ‘it’s like a holiday’
- ‘Home equity theft’ — in New Bedford and across Massachusetts