NEW BEDFORD – At-Large City Councilor Ian Abreu edged out Brian Gomes as the body’s new president by 6-5 vote Thursday night.
Derek Baptiste, Naomi Carney, Maria Giesta and newcomers Shane Burgo and Ryan Pereira, along with Abreu himself, voted for Abreu. Hugh Dunn, Scott Lima, Brad Markey, Linda Morad and Gomes himself voted for Gomes.
Abreu has been the top vote-getter in the past two at-large elections. Gomes has served as the council president several times in the past.
The vote had been delayed after several city councilors were absent for the City Council’s inaugural meeting, due to illness, including COVID-19.
Sign up for free
Our free newsletter will drop into your inbox weekday mornings, giving you all the highlights of our in-depth news stories and community arts and culture coverage.
SUPPORT OUR WORK TODAY
As an independent, nonprofit news outlet we are reliant on reader support to help fund the kind of in-depth journalism that keeps the public informed and holds the powerful accountable. Thank you for your support.
New Bedford Light is an IRS-determined 501(c)(3) Public Charity; all gifts are tax-deductible. Our EIN number is 86-2407296.
Thank you to our sponsors
Irwin and Joan Jacobs, Founding Benefactors
- Trustees: Hovan will not return to Southcoast Health CEO position
- New Bedford murder victim’s family opposes killer’s commutation
- Lack of education may be the root of New Bedford’s COVID struggles
- Commentary: My bill would bring transparency to show cause hearings
- Innovators Charter School sparks now-familiar struggle in New Bedford
- Black and Hispanic students account for most New Bedford school arrests