NEW BEDFORD – At-Large City Councilor Ian Abreu edged out Brian Gomes as the body’s new president by 6-5 vote Thursday night.
Derek Baptiste, Naomi Carney, Maria Giesta and newcomers Shane Burgo and Ryan Pereira, along with Abreu himself, voted for Abreu. Hugh Dunn, Scott Lima, Brad Markey, Linda Morad and Gomes himself voted for Gomes.
Abreu has been the top vote-getter in the past two at-large elections. Gomes has served as the council president several times in the past.
The vote had been delayed after several city councilors were absent for the City Council’s inaugural meeting, due to illness, including COVID-19.
Sign up for our free newsletter
Receive in-depth news stories and arts & culture coverage from around New Bedford in your inbox every weekday.
Support local news
Give today to keep The Light shining. As a nonprofit with no paywall we rely on reader donations to fund our high-quality reporting.
New Bedford Light is an IRS-determined 501(c)(3) Public Charity; all gifts are tax-deductible. Our EIN number is 86-2407296.
Thank you to our sponsors
Founding benefactors: Joan and Irwin Jacobs fund of the Jewish Community Foundation, Mary and Jim Ottaway
For questions about donations, contact Chrystal Walsh, director of advancement, at email@example.com.
For questions about sponsoring The Light, contact Peter Andrews, director of business development and community engagement, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Opinion: Adding luxury housing won’t solve city’s housing crisis
- Culture Calendar: See the latest events planned in and around New Bedford
- NBAM’s year-end exhibit inventive, eclectic and engaging
- Opinion: Return of rail brings the chance to build homes for people, not spaces for cars
- Steeple Playhouse opening ushers in a new era for city
- UMass Dartmouth will refer students seeking medication abortion to two clinics