COVID-19 WARNING: While we continue to list New Bedford's array of cultural offerings, readers are advised to heed the latest public health recommendations. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention now recommends that both unvaccinated and fully vaccinated people wear masks indoors in public in areas of substantial or high transmission, including Bristol County.
SUBMIT YOUR EVENT
- This event has passed.
Event Series: New Bedford City Council
New Bedford City Council
March 9 @ 7:00 pm
The New Bedford City Council will meet at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 9, in City Council Chambers at City Hall.
On the agenda:
- A petition from Verizon to add two telephone poles on Mount Pleasant Street.
- A resolution authorizing the Mayor to apply for federal financial assistance.
- Sewer abatements at 731 Tarkiln Hill Road and 286 Palmer Street.
- A recommendation to approve a home rule petition authorizing the City to grant a utility easement to UMass Dartmouth at Fort Taber Park.
- A recommendation to approve New Bedford Historical Commission Historic Districts.
- A recommendation to allow Parallel Products to withdraw a request for a zoning change at the old Sunbeam factory on Coffin Ave.
- A recommendation to expand the existing Housing Development Incentive Program from the downtown business district to the entire city.
- A recommendation to amend the existing lease between Nor East Aviation services and the City.
- A motion to place a nonbinding public opinion question on the Nov. 7, 2023 general election ballot asking “Should the City of New Bedford adopt an ordinance stabilizing rents in order to prevent displacement in the local housing rental market?
- A motion requesting an advisory ballot question be placed on the ballot for the next municipal election asking “Shall the term of the Office of Mayor of the City of New Bedford be reduced from the current four years to two years?”
- A motion that the City Council revokes acceptance of Sections 3 through 7 of Chapter 44B of the General Laws, which adopts the Community Preservation Act property tax surcharge.
- A motion to place a question on the ballot asking voters “Shall the City of New Bedford revoke the acceptance of Sections 3 to 7, inclusive of Chapter 44B of the General Laws, as revoked by its legislative body, a summary of which appears below?”
- A motion requesting rezoning for three plots on Osborn Street from residential to mixed use business.
- A motion requesting the Committee on Affordable Housing & Homeless Affairs discuss options for Special Protections for Transit Corridors, a multi-issue response to gentrification and the unintended consequences of transit improvements in the city and region.
- A motion requesting a review of the City’s current Accessory Buildings and Uses ordinance.
- A motion requesting the Administration budget $20,000 in the 2024 budget for assisting Neighborhood United and Crime Watch groups across the city.
- A motion requesting a meeting to discuss water issues on Durfee Street between Shawmut Ave and Cedar Street.
- An ordinance amending Marijuana Establishment Hours of Operation.
- An application from Anastasios Kolitsis for a new privaty livery license.
- An application for a memorial park bench and plaque in Ashley Park in front of Goulart Square Bakery in memory of Jose A. Gaspar.
- A communication on the final design improvements to the East Beach Pier.