COVID-19 WARNING: While we continue to list New Bedford's array of cultural offerings, readers are advised to heed the latest public health recommendations. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention now recommends that both unvaccinated and fully vaccinated people wear masks indoors in public in areas of substantial or high transmission, including Bristol County.
- This event has passed.
Apply for a Polaroid Fund grant
An event every week that begins at 12:00 am on Monday, repeating until February 28, 2022
For more than a decade, the SouthCoast Community Foundation has managed the New Bedford area grant program of the Polaroid Fund, a discretionary fund of The Boston Foundation that supports workforce development and literacy programming in New Bedford.
Grants from the Polaroid Fund are made to help the New Bedford community’s most vulnerable residents build the skills necessary to attain their educational and employment goals, including ESOL, ABE and GED programs, as well as family literacy and early literacy programs. Programs will be funded for a period of 9 months to support activities and expenses from April 15, 2022 through December 31, 2022. Organizations can request up to $15,000.
Apply here. Deadline is Feb. 28.
Proposals will be considered from organizations seeking to:
• Mitigate barriers to learning such as cultural and language differences, transportation and childcare issues, and fragmentation of available services.
• Advocate for public policy changes that increase provider capacity, create employer incentives to offer workplace literacy programs, and increases state and local funding.
• Advocate for greater private and employer investment in worker education.
• Support programs integrating early literacy programming for children birth to three years old with ABE/ESOL and parenting courses.
• Protect the cultural context and bonds of a community by preserving and supporting neighborhood based programs providing access to literacy and ABE/ESOL classes.
• Address gaps in programming and provider services. Encourage programming for all stages of adult learning, from adult basic education to preparation for successful enrollment in post-secondary education and training.
• Support capacity building of programs that meet one or more of the objectives listed above.